Reasons for using self storage are many and varied, but what it does for anyone who makes use of it is to free up much needed space in the home thus improving the quality of life. Once you have started the process of decluttering your living space and by implication, your life, your stress levels will be lowered, your negative mood may disappear, and your sleep patterns may even improve! These seem like a good enough incentive to begin decluttering. By storing your seasonal items, you will be surprised at how much space you can free up.
Store Your Seasonal Items to Free Up Precious Space
The seasons arrive every year without fail. Each season requires different items of clothing, toys, garden equipment, and equipment for the seasonal sports and hobbies we may enjoy. The problem arises in the off season of where to store these items. They are often bulky, and expensive to replace should they go missing or get broken.
Hiring a self storage unit at Stop & Store Fareham can solve the problem of where to put those seasonal items that we wish to keep.
- Holiday season decorations. This is the time of year when we take down our Christmas holiday décor, trees, and lights and pack them away where hopefully they will be ready for us next holiday season, intact and ready to use again. But will they? Especially if they are stuffed into a cupboard or stored at the back of a dusty garage. A storage unit is the perfect place to store these fragile holiday decorations.
- Camping equipment, kayaks, bikes, and other summer equipment. These all tend to be bulky and difficult to store. They are expensive ‘toys’ which need to be kept safely and secure from theft or being damaged.
- Summer clothes and bathing suits don’t need to be available during the long cold winter months, so pack these away to ensure your cupboards aren’t filled with a mix of summer and winter clothes.
- Thick winter clothing and jackets, including boots, take up valuable cupboard space, so they need to be packed away for the duration of the summer months.
- Winter sporting equipment such as skis, skates, sledges, and everything that goes with them that make winter holidays so special, need to be stored safely in the off season.
Careful Packing for Storage will Ensure Possessions Remain Undamaged
- When packing up clothing for storage make sure that all items are freshly laundered and dry before packing them in boxes. Any moisture that is present will cause mould and mildew to form which can destroy clothing. Put a moth repellent in with your clothes as any moths or insects that find their way into your packed clothes can cause havoc with your clothes.
- Clear plastic bins of the same size will make it easy to see what is in each box. It will also make stacking your boxes on top of each other possible. This will keep your unit looking neat. If you are using cardboard boxes new ones are preferable to used ones from the grocery store. The used ones may already contain insect eggs which will hatch in the dark environment of a storage unit and cause damage to your clothes.
- Pack your holiday decorations carefully, making sure not to tangle up long ropes of lights and wrapping breakables in bubble wrap. Keep all the decorations together in the same area of the unit so that you can find them easily when you need them again.
- It is most important to label all your boxes in detail to help you stay organized. Packing the seasonal items’ boxes together in the same area will help you keep track of these items and not misplace any boxes.
- It is not a good idea to use plastic bags to pack your stuff into. First of all, it is difficult to label a plastic bag, but worse is that they disintegrate over time and collapse and will cause your belongings to scatter all over the place and create a big mess for you.
- If you have hired a large storage unit, you may wish to place temporary shelves along the wall to use the vertical space efficiently. Pack the items that you won’t be needing for some time towards the back of the unit. If you need to access your boxes while they are in storage, it is a good idea to leave a corridor or passage so that you can move around easily.
To keep your storage unit organised and to make sure that you are not storing a whole lot of stuff that you will never use, carry out a spring clean at the beginning of the new season. Throw out anything that you haven’t used for the year, and also get rid of items that you may have replaced. After all, you do not wish to pay for the storage of items that you no longer need.
How Stop & Store Fareham can help with your seasonal storage
At Stop & Store Fareham we offer you the perfect solution to storing your seasonal items in a safe environment.
- Our self storage facility is fully secured with monitored CCTV and intruder alarms and our units are individually alarmed, so you can rest assured that your belongings are in safe hands.
- Our state-of-the-art operating system enables you to book and pay online for your self-storage unit. We will email you your individual PIN code so that you can access your storage unit straight away.
- Our units vary in size from 12 sq ft to 200 sq ft, they are safe, dry, pest controlled and ideal for the purpose of storing any of your excess items.
- You do not need to sign a contract, and we offer both long term and short term leases. If you move your goods in the middle of the month, you pay pro rate.
- We offer an easy storage solution to the problem of storing your seasonal items safely and securely.
Our facility is conveniently located in the Fareham Shopping Centre, which is in the heart of the town. There is easy access to load and unload your goods. Stop and Store Fareham is open 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm.
Tel: 01329 556174 We look forward to hearing from you.