Self storage is the perfect solution to the dilemma of where to keep your valuable items. Self storage facilities are designed to provide secure storage solutions for a wide range of items, including your valuable ones.
There are many reasons why people need this extra storage space. Here are some of the situations you may find yourself needing that extra space.
- Are you moving home? This is the reason why most householders need that space. There may be a few weeks between moving from your old home and taking occupation of your new one. This dilemma of where to keep your belongings in the meantime is easily solved by renting a self storage unit for the short term.
- If you intend to take a sabbatical or plan to travel abroad for a year or so you will need a place to store your valuable items. Even if you rent out your house or apartment while you are away, there are valuable and sentimental belongings you would rather not leave for your tenants to use. These may include family heirlooms or a particular collection which are precious to you. You do not want to risk them being damaged or even stolen while you are away. Placing them in a storage facility will give you the peace of mind that they are safely out of the way and will stay that way until you get back to claim them.
- A change in relationship status as a result of death or divorce often means needing to downsize. Instead of permanently disposing of your items quickly it makes sense to put them into storage for a few months. This will buy you some time to make these life-changing decisions.
- When undertaking extensive renovations to your home you need to make some decisions as to what to do with your valuable items. There is a huge risk attached to leaving them in your home while there is construction work going on. Your furniture and other belongings are sure to be damaged in the process, whether by being dented and scratched or by the dust that is so prevalent on a construction site. Avoid this by placing them in a self storage unit for the duration of the build. If your renovation runs over the time allotted, just extend your rental contract. This is one of the benefits of self storage – you can easily add a month or two to your contract.
Although self storage provides a convenient solution to your storage problems there are some precautions you need to take into account when storing valuable items.
Key aspects of the do’s and don’ts of storing valuable items in self storage include the preparation and packing of your belongings, the security of the facility, the way you organize them both in the boxes and in the unit, and regularly checking up on them whilst they are in storage to ensure there are no problems.
Here are some of the do’s while storing valuable items in self storage
Do Choose the Right Storage Facility
Research and compare the various self storage facilities in your area. Read reviews, check online ratings, and visit them personally if you can. Compare factors like security measures, cleanliness, and customer service.Choose a facility with robust security features such as monitored surveillance cameras, gated access, and strict access control.
If you intend to store valuables such as artwork, electronics, or antiques, make sure that the units are not too susceptible to temperature and humidity fluctuations.
Do Prepare Your Valuable Possessions Properly
Make sure all your items are clean and dry before packing them to prevent mould and mildew.Use the right packaging materials such as bubble wrap, packing peanuts, and moving blankets to protect your delicate items from scratches and dents.
Do Label Boxes and Make an Inventory
Labeled boxes will make it easier to find a specific item when you need to.Creating an inventory of all the items you plan to store will enable you to keep track of what’s in storage. Besides, it may also be necessary for insurance purposes.
Do Utilize Space Wisely
Make use of temporary shelves and pallets to keep your items off the floor. Stack boxes carefully by placing the heavy ones at the bottom and the lighter ones on top to prevent the stacks from toppling over.
Do Keep Important Documents Secure
Pack them in fireproof and waterproof containers. Scan and store digital copies of your critical documents in a secure cloud storage service as a backup.
Do Take Security Precautions
Limit access to your storage unit to a few trusted individuals only.If you need to supply your lock, make sure that it is high-quality and tamper-proof.
Do Regular Checkups
If it is possible, visit your storage unit periodically to check for any issues or potential problems.
Now let’s move on to some of the don’ts while storing valuable items in self storage
Don’t Store Uninsured Valuables
Extremely valuable items should be adequately covered by insurance.
Don’t Store Valuable Small Items
Items such as jewelry and coin collections do not belong in a storage unit but should rather be kept in a bank vault.
Don’t Store Prohibited Items
These include hazardous materials, such as flammable or toxic materials which can pose a risk to other tenants and the facility itself.
Perishable food items can attract pests and will cause unpleasant odours.
Don’t Overstuff the Unit
Leave pathways where possible as a tightly packed unit will make accessing items impossible.
Don’t Forget to Securely Lock Your Unit
Always double-check that your unit is securely locked when you leave.
Don’t Use Substandard Packing Materials
Your belongings will not be adequately protected if you use poor-quality packing materials.
By following these do’s and don’ts of storing your valuable items in self storage, you can ensure that your goods will be safe, and the risk of any damage minimized. With proper care and attention, self storage can be a secure and reliable solution for storing your valuable possessions.
Stop & Store Fareham Self Storage Unit
If you need to store your valuable items our self storage facility provides a secure option. These are some of the reasons to hire one of our self storage units.
- Our security is second to none with 24/7 monitored CCTV surveillance, and controlled access, and our facility is well maintained.
- Our office hours are 7 days a week, from 8 am to 8 pm.
- Please check our website for what our customers have to say about us.
We are conveniently located in the Fareham Shopping Centre, in the heart of the town. You will have easy access to load and unload your goods.
Tel: 01329 556174. We look forward to hearing from you.