Decluttering is quite the buzz word at the moment. Popular TV programmes show us what can be achieved by featuring before and after pictures, showing the power of decluttering. These can rub off on us and inspire us to clear up our mess to enable us to live in a more organised space – which offers many benefits.
The fact that we have spent more time at home over the last two years during the pandemic has given us the opportunity to take stock of our possessions and motivated us to do something about sorting through and organising them into attractive displays. And decluttering also delivers more than just a beautiful, organised space, it is also emotionally liberating and therapeutic!
So where do you start with decluttering?
Clutter doesn’t just happen overnight, but rather it creeps up on you over time until suddenly one day you are looking for something, you can’t find it, and you decide there and then that your stuff is in a mess, and you need to tidy up and get organised.
But decluttering is difficult because you do not necessarily want to get rid of any items that you may need one day. We also have an emotional attachment to some of our belongings and the idea of getting rid of them is a difficult one to face.
This is where hiring a self storage unit at Stop & Store Fareham can assist. You can declutter your home and put those possessions you cannot part with or that you may use one day into storage for as long as you need to. This will buy you the time you need to make these difficult decisions without permanently getting rid of those possessions you may still love.
- Firstly, you need to commit to tidying up. Try not to make excuses about why you cannot, but just get on with it. One big restraint on getting started is that you become overwhelmed by the enormity of the task of decluttering. This feeling can discourage us to even begin. One way past this is to remind yourself that this isn’t something that you will achieve in a day. Rather take your time and do it in smaller chunks.
- Once you are ready to tidy, some experts suggest that you tackle the task by category, rather than by room. So start by tidying your clothes, then your books, and move onto kitchen equipment as an example. Once you decide what you want to keep, and what to get rid of, move onto the next category of stuff. The theory behind decluttering by category is that by placing all your clothes (for example) in a big pile will show you exactly how much you own and will make you feel less inclined to hoard or keep something just in case you need it one day as you feel that you have plenty.
- Organise the items that you have decided to keep with little things such as socks going together into baskets or boxes which makes them easier to find. Pack the items that you intend to store into clear boxes so that you can see them. This is a good tip for those items you intend placing in your storage unit.
- There is a golden rule in decluttering and tidying up that everything you own should have a home according to Marie Kondo, who is a decluttering guru. This makes sense when you consider your home only has a certain amount of space which will naturally limit the amount of stuff it can accommodate. But some of these things such as extra utensils or books or sentimental items you may wish to use again one day, pack them up in boxes and keep them in your self storage unit. This applies to your seasonal items like clothes and décor, which you can then swap out.
- Pack up the items you no longer wish to keep and give them to a homeless shelter, donate them to your local charity shop, or sell them online.
- This method allows you to retain the character of your home by keeping the things that you love. By using a self storage unit enables you to keep the items you may need at some stage or that have sentimental value and at the same time making sure your home is organised.
Once you have been through this process of decluttering and tidying up, finding a home for each and everything, getting rid of stuff, and placing into storage those belongings that still have a place in your life, it is advisable to periodically go through your stuff to keep the order that you have created.
How Stop & Store Fareham Can Help You with Decluttering
We want to help you find that extra space that you need at home, so keep all your superfluous belongings in one of our self storage units.
Our facility has security features that include 24/7 monitored CCTV, and our units have individual PIN codes that are only accessible by you. You can rest assured that the security of your goods is a priority with us.
We have many different sized units, so you are sure to find one that is exactly right for you. Please use our space calculator to give you an idea of the amount each size can store. If you need any further guidance, please contact us to arrange for you to view various units so that you make the correct decision.
Our online booking system is easy to use. Book and pay online and once we have received your payment; we will send you your individual PIN code and you can move your stuff in immediately.
You can book a unit for as long a period or as short as you wish. There is no deposit payable, no lengthy leases to be signed, and no nasty surprises with extra charges for utilities. You pay what we quote.
We hire out stackable packing boxes and packaging material that is available at our self storage facility.
We are conveniently situated in the Thackeray Mall in town, and we are easily accessible by road.
Please contact us directly for more information. We look forward to hearing from you.
Address: Thackeray Mall, Unit C (First Floor) 26a, Fareham PO16 0PQ, United Kingdom
Tel: 01329 556174