You may be having difficulty deciding whether to do a self storage rental or to use your garage as a place of storage. Whichever storage solution you decide on, both have upsides and downsides. Here we discuss the pros and cons of both, to help you decide which is best for you.
In the end, you will likely discover that it depends on your needs and circumstances. Additionally, everyone has a different view about the purpose of a garage, even members of the same family. A self storage unit, on the contrary, has one use only: storage.
- Most homeowners use their garage to shelter their vehicles from the outside elements, this helps protect the vehicles and to maintain their appearance and value.
- Garages are often used as workshops for various projects, including DIY home improvement, automotive repairs, woodworking, and other hobbies. A well-organised garage can be an excellent workspace.
- In some instances, a garage is designed as a primary entry point into the home, providing direct access to the house.
So, you may wonder, if your intentions are anything but storage, why should you use your garage for that purpose? Stop & Store Penrith is a top storage facility in Cumbria. We offer all the benefits of secure storage for you, leaving you free to use your garage for the purposes it is intended.
Self Storage vs Garage Storage: The Big Debate
While garages can be used to store a wide range of items, including tools, sports equipment, gardening supplies, holiday decorations, and more, ask yourself why you shouldn’t choose self storage instead. Here are some ideas:
- Decide on the quantity and type of goods you need to store, it may mean you separate those you need frequently and those less often, for example.
- Compare the benefits of self storage against its cost and having a garage free to use for more important things.
- Consider the fact many things stored in a garage are used infrequently, or seasonally and the convenience of having somewhere else to keep them.
- Weigh up the benefit of having an insulated environment for the items you plan to store; especially for some items, like antiques or electronics, which may require a protected environment.
- Consider whether you have time and the desire to maintain and organise your garage for storage.
Choosing between using your garage for storage or self storage will depend on your circumstances, your budget, and the value you place on convenience.
So, you are considering the Garage for Storage?
No doubt you already are using your garage for storage of everything that is not wanted in the house. There are obvious benefits to doing so:
- You have easy access to your belongings, making it convenient to retrieve and store items as needed.
- You can organise your garage storage with shelves, cabinets, and hooks, making it easier to find and access items.
- It doesn’t cost you anything extra to store things there.
- The garage can be locked, to provide extra security.
On the negative side, you will know that eventually:
- There will be no space for the car, meaning it must be parked elsewhere.
- It could become cluttered and difficult to move around in.
- It’s not particularly well insulated, meaning that it is not an ideal environment for more sensitive things to be stored.
- A disorganised garage is a potential safety hazard. There is a chance things can fall, damaging property or hurting someone.
- It becomes difficult to keep clean when it’s full.
- There is always the possibility of infestation by pests, as there are no pest control measures in place normally.
If you are prepared to maintain the garage by giving it regular attention, like cleaning and clearing up, then it could work for you. To make the most of your garage for storage while minimizing the downsides, it’s important to declutter regularly, install storage solutions, maintain the space, and administer pest prevention measures if needed.
Additionally, you should weigh the convenience of garage storage against the impact on outside vehicle parking and your overall property value.
Or are you considering Self Storage over the Garage for Storage?
Important factors in this conversation include the cost of self storage which can vary according to several criteria. These include location, (city units are far more than country units), and the size of the unit required. The duration of your stay is also a factor, as some storage facilities offer an incentive discount to stay long-term.
Here are some of the benefits of using self storage instead of your garage:
- The worry that something may go missing is not there. Reputable self storage facilities will have security measures like surveillance cameras and access controls.
- You can rent the size you need and are not limited in any way. Self storage facilities offer various unit sizes, and you can rent the space you need, adjusting it as your requirements change.
- Protection is assured from extreme conditions through the insulation of the storage unit. This insulation helps ensure that the internal environment is conducive to storing all your goods.
- You don’t have to lift a finger. No worries about maintaining the storage space or dealing with pests, as the self storage facility handles these aspects.
On the downside, these are the only drawbacks you will be facing:
- The cost of self storage can mount over a long period, so consider this factor when doing your budget.
- The proximity of the storage facility and getting there takes time and money, so factor this into your deliberations.
As we said, it’s all about your circumstances and how you weigh up the positives and negatives of both options.
Make a Good Choice of the Storage Solution
When you do choose a self storage facility, Stop & Store should be right up there amongst them. Look no further than Stop & Store Penrith when needing storage in Cumbria. We offer a range of sizes and a perfect environment for goods.
Give us a call on our office number, which is 01768 800291 and for further information our website details are: