There is always a first time for doing anything, and if you are weighing up the pros and cons of self storage rental, you may have found the solution to your storage problems. There are many reasons why people need the extra storage space.
- You may be moving to a new address and need a month or two to store your household goods as the dates of exiting your old house do not coincide with when you take occupation of your new place.
- You need storage space to keep your extra furniture which you have to clear out when creating a home office. You may not necessarily wish to get rid of this extra furniture as working from home could be a temporary arrangement.
- You plan on carrying out renovations at home, or redecorating a few rooms, and need to store your furniture while you are busy working on your house to prevent any damage by dust or by careless workers.
- You need self storage in Fareham space to store your seasonal clothes, holiday gear such as camping or ski equipment, Christmas decorations, and anything else that you only need for a few weeks of the year. These items can take up a lot of space in your home, so self storage is a great option to keep your goods safe until you need them again.
- At Stop & Store Fareham we have learnt a lot from our customers over the years, and one of these is not to assume that new customers in particular know what is involved in renting self storage in Fareham. Here are some tips that you may find useful when considering renting one of our units.
- The location of the facility is important. Do you need one close to your old house or closer to your new address if you are moving? It probably makes sense to be closer to your new house, although this could be a problem if you need something out of your storage unit while you are waiting, and your goods are stored far away. Otherwise if you need it for personal storage, the closer to home the more convenient it will be.
- Choosing the correct size of unit is important as you do not want to pay for capacity that you will not use, but on the other hand, you do not want to run out of storage space before you have finished unpacking. Once you have an idea of the amount of stuff you wish to store, either consult the storage unit facility for their advice, or in the case of Stop & Store Fareham, check out our handy space calculator which is designed to give you some idea of how much the different size units are able to hold. We run specials on some of our units, so these are also worth checking out as you can save yourself some money.
- Security is very important so find out if the levels of security at the facility are of a high enough standard to give you peace of mind that your precious belongings will be safe from burglars. Check to see if they have monitored CCTV, and other security measures such as good lighting, secure access gates, and that your unit is only able to be accessed by you.
- Read the reviews left by customers as part of your research. This will assist you with your decision.
- The method used to book a storage unit is something to be considered. At Stop & Store Fareham we offer a state-of-the-art booking system where you book, pay, and receive your PIN access code all online. You are then able to access your unit immediately. We don’t require you to sign lengthy contracts or pay hefty deposits, so the process is simple and user-friendly. We do not have a minimum time for our storage units, so you can use it either for short-term or long-term storage.
Keep Your Storage Unit Organised
There are a few pointers to follow which will ensure your belongings stay organised when you decide to use one of our storage units.
- Use the correct packaging materials to keep your goods safe. Clear plastic boxes that can stack are probably the best ones to use. These will keep their contents safely, and as a bonus you can see what is in them. If you use cardboard boxes make sure that they are new ones. Secondhand boxes you may procure from your local store are not as strong as new ones, and worse, may have moth’s or other insects eggs that will hatch out and cause damage to your belongings.
- Make sure that any clothing, bedding, and curtains you pack away is clean and properly dry as any moisture will cause mould to grow. This mould can also cause damage to your goods.
- Place a tarpaulin on the floor of your unit or use pallets to stack your boxes on so your stuff is not on the floor for extra protection.
- Leave corridors or spaces between your boxes for easy access. To use the vertical space you may wish to use plastic shelving along the walls.
- Pack heavy stuff at the bottom with the lighter stuff on the top to protect your delicate belongings.
- Don’t use plastic bags to pack your goods in. These disintegrate over time and your unit will become a jumbled mess after a while.
- Remember to label all your boxes so you can find your stuff easily.
- Follow the rules set out by the storage facility with regards to storing foodstuffs and other goods that can not only become rotten but may harbour pests and vermin. These are things you definitely don’t want nesting in your belongings. Items like firearms or fireworks are also most probably forbidden. And remember, you are not allowed to live in a storage unit.
These are some of the ways you can make self storage work for you. We at Stop & Store Fareham have made self storage as simple as possible, and within the reach of everyone.
Our premises are at Thackeray Mall, Unit C (First Floor) 26a, Fareham PO16 0PQ, and are easily accessible.
Phone: +44 1329 556174