Self-storage units remain one of the best ways of maximizing your space at home. Has your home situation changed in that you now have family members returning home to live with you and you find yourself with an extra people to accommodate?
This is especially true at this time of the COVID-19 pandemic when many of our family members may have lost their jobs and are unable to afford their rentals. Or we may have family members who are students and are returning home to carry on with their studies online as being away at university or college is no longer possible. Whatever scenario you are facing, your priorities have changed as you need to organise your entire household and your belongings differently in order to accommodate your changed circumstances.
This will no doubt entail having to make extra space available in your home by packing away or getting rid of items that are not in frequent use. If you are unsure about disposing of them permanently because they are items you use maybe once a year, like Christmas decorations or your bulky camping equipment and sporting equipment, hiring a self-storage unit is the perfect answer to your problem.
Storage facilities can help you with either short-term or long-term storage and may be the perfect solution to your problems. Here are some important points to consider while you decide on a self-storage rental.
– The facility should be near to your home or at least easily accessible for you to be able to take your belongings and store them with the minimum hassle.
– You will need to access your unit whenever it is necessary, so check that the facility you choose makes this possible for you 24/7. Check whether anyone other than yourself can access your unit, for e.g. do any of the staff have your access details?
- Customer Service
– Choose a facility that is well maintained and cared for. A clean, well-kept facility indicates a well-managed operation and one that will be careful about your possessions and look after them too.
– See whether the facility allows you to enquire, book and pay online to make the entire process as easy as possible for you.
– Choose a facility that doesn’t lock you into a long-term lease because your circumstances may change, and you need to reconsider your arrangement. Check whether their prices are competitive and if they offer any specials for long term rentals.
– Check the customer feedback on their website.
-The facility you choose should have security features such as 24/7 CCTV monitoring and limited access so that you can be assured that your belongings are safe.
-Is there a maintenance and cleaning programme in place? Is there protection against pests?
If you need a self-storage facility in Fareham or surrounding areas, Stop & Store which is conveniently situated in the Fareham Shopping Centre in the middle of town ticks all of the above boxes. We offer a variety of indoor self-storage units ranging in size from 12 to 200 sq. Ft for both short term and long-term rental. To help you choose the correct size of storage unit we have a handy Space Calculator on our website. Sometimes it is difficult to imagine how big 200 sq. ft is, so if you need personal assistance with your choice, we are only too happy to oblige.
Once you have decided to place your belongings in storage, here are some tips to help you keep your self-storage unit organised.
- Storage units should have flooring that is moisture proof, but just to be sure that your items in long-term storage are safe, place a piece of tarpaulin on the floor under your boxes.
- Ensure that your belongings are packed correctly in strong cardboard boxes for long term storage. Recycled boxes may not be strong enough to withstand months of storage and may collapse. Place heavier boxes at the bottom and pack the lighter ones on top. Remember to leave an aisle so that you can access the contents of your boxes that are at the back, if you need to.
- For long-term storage it is advisable not to use plastic bags to store your items. After a few months in storage you won’t remember where you put which items as plastic bags are impossible to label.
- Take time to pack properly and in a logical fashion. Wrap breakables in bubble-wrap and paper and use plenty of tape to make up your boxes to be as strong as possible. The effort you put into your packing will guard against your belongings being damaged and broken at this time.
- Make sure you label your boxes and keep a detailed inventory of the contents. The more detailed the labels are, the better it will be if you need to find something in the future. Pack your boxes in a logical manner so the contents aren’t a jumble and a mess. Number your boxes and store boxes from an area of your house, for e.g. a kitchen, all together so your boxes aren’t mixed up.
- If you create a master list on an excel spreadsheet of all box numbers and what is in the boxes, you will be able to keep track of what is in your unit. If you remove any items, remember to record it. This way you will always have an updated record of what you have in your unit.
- Adding shelves to your storage unit is a great way to keep it clean and organised. Label each shelf to make your items easier to find.
One of our self-storage units at Stop & Store Fareham could be the perfect solution to your dilemma of creating more space in your home. Our facility is well maintained and protected by state-of-the-art security. Once you have rented one of our secure storage units you will be able to access it any day, weekends and holidays included.
Please contact us on 01329 556174 for more information. We look forward to hearing from you.