A storage unit is not just for those who wish to store large items but can be used as a personal storage option for someone wanting to store smaller items that may have sentimental value, or that may be valuable. It is perfect for storing personal papers and photos, or sentimental items such as china or other collections, paintings, and books. Stop & Store Fareham has storage units sized from 12 sq ft and these could be exactly the right size to use as your personal storage space to keep your smaller items safely.
This could come in handy when you have inherited items from someone and you need some time to find a place for them in your home, or to give you a bit of breathing space to decide whether you wish to sell them.
Photos and personal papers like old letters will need to be carefully packed in plastic boxes to ensure that they remain undamaged. We discuss below how to pack these items so that they do not get damaged.
Wrap precious smaller items like jewellery in clean paper and pack them in small boxes. Obviously if your jewellery is very valuable you will need to store it at the bank or in a safe at home. Collections of coins, china, ornaments, or anything else will also need to be carefully packed to prevent breakages. Even while selling your house it makes sense to pack away these personal items so that your house appears uncluttered, and nothing is pilfered on show days.
Paintings will need to be carefully wrapped in bubble wrap before being stacked against the walls of the unit. Books can be packed in boxes and any books you don’t want can be donated to a charity or a secondhand book shop.
If you wish to store larger antiques in your personal storage, you will need to hire one of our bigger units. Stop & Store Fareham have different size units with the largest being 200 sq ft, which is enough space for a houseful of your precious furniture. This is a useful facility to bear in mind if you are moving to a new house and you need to store furniture while you are waiting for the new house to become available. Wrap pieces in blankets to make sure that your precious belongings do not get damaged while in storage.
How to Prepare your Personal Storage Unit
We need to take some extra precautions so that our precious belongings are not damaged in any way during their time in storage. Here are a few pointers on how to keep them safe from damage.
- Make sure that your Self Storage unit is moisture free. Check the unit for any signs of damp or rising damp as this will enable the formation of mould that damages most things. As an extra precaution, place a tarpaulin on the floor of your unit and pack your goods on top of it.
- You want to avoid moth or other insect damage to your belongings. Using plastic boxes when you pack will protect your papers and photos from moths and other pests. Use naphthalene or any recommended insecticide to protect them. Packing in cardboard boxes, especially if they are boxes you managed to get from the supermarket, is not a good idea. There may already be the eggs of insects present in the cardboard, and these will hatch in the dark environment of the unit. Unused cardboard boxes should be good for packing, and are stronger than used ones as well, and they will keep their shape.
- Make sure that any clothing you store is washed and dry, otherwise you may introduce moisture and unwanted insects or vermin.
- Check for evidence of other pests such as mice.
Why Choose Stop & Store Fareham for Personal Storage?
At Stop & Store Fareham we can assist you when you need Self Storage for the personal storage of your belongings. Rather than trying to find the extra storage space in your home or garage we offer practical solutions to your storage problems.
- Our storage facility is completely secured, so even if you are storing valuable items, you can rest assured that your precious belongings are safe from burglary. Our facility is covered by monitored CCTV cameras, as well as an intruder alarm, and our units are individually alarmed.
- Our state-of-the-art operating system enables you to apply for a unit online, and once you have paid, we email you your individual PIN code which allows you to access your storage unit immediately. It is as easy as that. Stop and Store Fareham is open 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm.
- Our units vary in size from 12 sq ft to 200 sq ft, and there is a handy space calculator on our website that will help you choose the perfect sized unit for your needs. So if you have small items of value, sentimentally precious photos, valuable paintings, or larger antique pieces, we have the right sized unit for you. We will be happy to assist you so please contact us if you need any assistance in choosing the correct size.
- Our units are safe, dry, pest controlled and ideal for the purpose of storing any of your valuable and significant items.
- We don’t require you to pay a deposit. You can hire storage space from 1 month to as long as you need, and if you move your goods in the middle of a month, you pay a pro rate for the first month. So whether you need a short term or long-term rental to store your belongings, we can assist you.
Our storage facility is conveniently situated in the Fareham Shopping Centre, in the heart of the town, with convenient road access and we are user-friendly to make the loading and unloading of your goods into your unit as easy as possible.
Tel: 01329 556174