If you find yourself running out of storage space in your home for items that you only use seasonally, such as clothing, freeing up space in your home or garage and is a cost-effective alternative to solve your seasonal clutter without getting rid of goods that you will most probably need again. Self Storage Runcorn
A self-storage unit will not only keep your belongings safe, but you can access them any time you need to. When the season comes around again, exchange them for the items you will be putting away. This is an easy solution to avoiding overcrowding at home.
At the beginning of the season, such as summer, you will need your camping equipment as well as your summer clothing and garden tools like your lawnmower. If these have been packed away out of sight for many months they may be damaged if they were stored carelessly.
The same will apply when the Christmas season and winter comes around. We will need our warm clothes, but also we need to get our decorations and Christmas ornaments out of storage to decorate our homes in preparation for the festivities. If we are taking a winter holiday we also need to unpack our skiing equipment and clothing that we put away at the end of the last winter season. These bulky items are expensive and need to be stored safely without getting damaged whilst they are not being used.
When the seasons’ change, it is normally the time we struggle to find space for the items we won’t be using for a few months. We may find we have run out of space in our homes or garages so consider a self-storage unit. This could be the obvious cost-effective answer to your seasonal storage problems.
Storing Winter Goods and Equipment
Here are some of the items to place in your storage unit to keep safe until wintertime arrives.
- Any winter equipment such as skiing equipment, skates, and sleds if you are a family who loves winter sports.
- Bulky winter clothing and shoes that take up space in your cupboards.
- Christmas decorations, fake trees, lights, and wreaths. Pack these away in plastic boxes to keep them safe and organised. Make sure you label your containers with what is in each one so nothing gets misplaced.
Storing Summer Goods and Equipment
There are some items that you will need to put away at the end of summer.
- These are some of the items you may use on your summer holidays: camping equipment, scuba diving equipment, surfboards, paddle ski’s, and bicycles if you only ride those in summer. These are bulky items to store, expensive to replace, and are easily damaged. Store them in self-storage to ensure they are kept safely and remain in good condition and ready for use on your next summer holiday.
- Gardening equipment and tools, including hoses, lawnmowers, and gardening tools. If you are lucky enough to have a shed to keep these items safe, that will be the place for them, but consider a self-storage unit if you do not. At the end of summer take them to your storage unit for safekeeping as you will not be needing them for the next few months. A tip to maximise space: Place long gardening tools upright in a bucket or drum to keep them all together.
Storing Your Seasonal Clothes Self Storage Runcorn
Here are some guidelines for you to follow so that by the time you need them again, your clothes are still in a good condition.
- Make sure that your clothes are washed and dried before you store them. Unwashed clothes or clothes that are damp will become mouldy, smelly, and could possibly attract pests and rodents.
- Clean your shoes before putting them into storage to avoid them becoming mouldy and smelling bad.
- It is advisable not to vacuum seal clothes before storage as the natural materials clothes are made of the need to breathe to stop them from weakening. Vacuum sealing will also wrinkle your clothes badly if they are to be stored for long periods of time.
- Purchase some plastic bins, preferably the clear ones, for storing clothes so you can identify your belongings at a glance. Some storage units have these bins for hire. The bins will keep your clothes safely, and they stack neatly on top of each other, making it easy to keep your storage unit organised. Your clothes will also be kept dry and protected from moisture in these bins.
Whatever you do, don’t store clothes in plastic rubbish bags. You will be left with a jumbled mess as the bags disintegrate. These bags cannot be labelled thus making it extra difficult for you to find anything.
- It is important to label your boxes accurately and keep a detailed inventory so that you can keep track of your belongings.
- Pack the clothes for each person of your family separately. Fold the items properly to ensure that they do not get damaged whilst in storage.
- Purchase a clothing rail on wheels to store your dresses, coats, jackets, and suits. This will ensure that your clothes are wrinkle-free when you need them again, no matter how long you need to store them. Protect them further by using a garment bag.
- Place some cedarwood balls or pheromone adhesive strips amongst your clothing to prevent damage from any moths or other insects.
At Stop & Store self storage Runcorn we offer a solution to the storage of your seasonal items that will keep them secure and safe. It is so much more convenient than trying to find an extra corner of storage space at home.
Our units vary in size from 12 sq ft to 200 sq ft, they are safe, dry, pest controlled and ideal for the purpose of storing your clothing, sporting goods, gardening tools, or Christmas decorations in the off-season. No contract needs to be signed and you can hire storage space from 1 month to as long as you need.
Conveniently located in the heart of the town, with easy access to load and unload your goods, Stop and Store self storage Runcorn is open 7 days a week from 8 am to 8 pm.
Tel: 01928 246400