We all know that a garage is designed for keeping our car safe. But we also all know that somehow a garage tends to become a storage area for the overflow from the house. This becomes a problem when there is so much stuff stored in it that there is no place for the car, which now has to live outside, exposed to the elements and also to the prospect of being stolen.
Garages have a lot of vertical space, with three walls and even space in the roof if it is high enough and has rafters which could function as a loft area. So potentially there is a lot of storage space available, as long as goods are packed away in an organised manner. Much like a large self storage unit, if your goods are packed into boxes and stacked carefully, then there should be enough space.
Is Your Garage Being Used as a Storage Room?
This is when the garage is used for those things that we no longer have use or space for in the house. Stuff gets dumped on the floor in a haphazard manner with little or no organisation, until the garage is full and there is no space for your car. At that point, you may decide that something has to be done. There has to be a drastic clean out and reorganization until it can be used for the purpose it was originally intended!
Cleaning Out Your Garage
Your belongings have to go somewhere, and this is where hiring a self storage unit at Stop & Store Fareham can assist you so that you have somewhere to put your stuff.
- This process may take a few days, so give yourself plenty of time. Clear out those things that you most likely will never use. You can donate these to your favourite charity, take them to a thrift shop, or even attempt to sell them online. You will be surprised at what people need. This is an opportunity for you to declutter so be strict with yourself when you sort through these items. All broken, old appliances, for example an old toaster or a computer that no longer works, you will in all likelihood never get fixed, so chuck them out.
- If you keep your sporting equipment or camping gear in the garage, pack it up and take it to your storage unit. This is the ideal place to store these types of belongings because you are able to access them whenever you need to, but they are also safely stored and in no danger of being damaged or stolen. This type of equipment is only used a few times a year and probably only in the warmer months, so if it is taking up unnecessary space in your garage or home, it has to go. Even equipment that you use at weekends, such as golf clubs or bikes, can be stored in your unit. Units are so accessible you will be able to fetch them whenever you need to.
- Not many people have the wardrobe or cupboard space to keep their seasonal clothes organised. A self storage unit is the perfect place to keep your seasonal items of clothing until you need them again. Boots, heavy coats, and bulky sweaters take up much space in your wardrobe when you have to make way for your warm weather clothes. Rather pack them away for the duration of the winter, fetching them again when the weather turns cold.
- If you have been keeping your outside furniture in the garage, along with the lawnmower and other garden tools that will not be needed until the spring, then you need to consider a self storage unit for these items. Leaving patio furniture out in the elements will only damage it, and those garden tools are difficult to keep together. Moving all these into your storage unit will free up so much space in your garage if this is where you are storing them.
- Once you have cleaned out these items, it is time to give your garage a good dust, sweep it out, and drive your car in!
If you are lucky enough to have a large enough garage to accommodate both your car and act as a storage space, there are some ways that you can make the most of this space, and keep it a clean, organised space.
- Add shelving. This will instantly add more space in your garage to keep your extras like tools, books, and smaller household items.
- Plastic bins. Cardboard boxes will not work as they may collapse if they are stacked up on top of each other. But stackable plastic bins will keep their shape, and if they are clear plastic, you will be able to see what is stored in each one. In any cases, you will need to label your boxes clearly as to what the contents are.
- Hooks and nails on the walls. Tools, and gardening implements such as rakes, spades, forks, etc., can be hung up on the walls using strong hooks and nails to ensure that they do not fall off.
These recommendations will allow you to ensure that your garage remains organised so that you can keep both your car and some of your possessions safely, without cluttering up your house.
Why Use Stop & Store Fareham Self Storage?
Renting one of our self storage units will ensure that your belongings remain safe and organised.
- Our security is second to none with 24/7 monitored CCTV surveillance, and controlled access, and our facility is well maintained.
- You can hire storage space from 1 month to as long as you need.
- So when you need an easy storage solution to some of the storage problems you are likely to encounter in the future, try Stop & Store Fareham. We will keep your belongings safe and secure.
- Our office hours are 7 days a week, from 8am to 8pm.
- Please check our website for what our customers have to say about us.
We are conveniently located in the Fareham Shopping Centre, in the heart of the town. You will have easy access to load and unload your goods.
Tel: 01329 556174. We look forward to hearing from you.