Moving to a new house is a stressful experience, and certainly features amongst the more tense one’s life throws at anyone. Thinking about your new home is exciting, but the actual move itself may be giving you anxiety attacks! Luckily there are some hacks that you can follow to ensure a trouble-free move.
The golden rule of a successful move lies in its organisation.
1. Don’t leave everything until the last minute
If you only start decluttering and packing up your belongings into boxes a few days before your move, you are making it even more difficult for yourself and your family. This is when the panic sets in and you end up throwing everything into any old box, fail to label your boxes, and get into a state because everything is in such a muddle. When you get to your new home you will be confronted with an array of boxes, the contents of which you have no idea of, and you will find that you have packed up items that you probably should have got rid of. This makes your move even costlier as you are paying to move items you no longer need.
2. Once you have a moving date, begin decluttering
It makes sense that the longer you have been living in your home, the more stuff you would’ve collected. Give yourself a month or so leading up to your move, to declutter and begin your packing. You will find yourself with piles of stuff, some of which you want to toss, others that you want to keep, and those that are in good condition which you can donate or sell.
3. Start packing
Packing in an organised matter is key to keeping tabs on your belongings. Pack each room’s contents into its own boxes and remember to label each box in detail. Don’t just put ‘Kids Bedroom’ on the box and expect to remember what is in it. Make a detailed list of whether it is toys or clothes or bedding. This will make your life so much easier when you begin the process of unpacking in your new home.
4. Use a self storage facility
There are some instances when using a self storage unit to store some or all of your belongings will make the process of moving easier for you. Among these are:
- Storing your possessions while waiting for your new house or apartment to become available
- Sometimes it is easier to pack up and move in stages, rather than all in one go, so moving your belongings that are not in daily use into your self storage unit while you pack and move the bulk of your goods will give you a bit of breathing space.
- When downsizing for whatever reason you may not be ready to get rid of your excess belongings and furniture, so by putting them into self storage will give you the time to find a new home for them, or to sell them.
- If like most of us, you need to sell your house before taking up residency in your new one, by decluttering your old house and putting these items into storage for a few months, will allow you to present your house in the best possible light to potential buyers. Free from clutter, they will be able to see themselves in your house without your belongings distracting them. Realtors agree that this is the best way for you as the seller to get the best possible price for your old home.
When you decide to use a storage option to solve your moving problems, you can use Stop & Store Fareham to store your belongings in one of the self storage units.
The Pros of Hiring a Self Storage Unit
The big advantage is that you can load and unload your stuff in your own time. This flexibility makes self storage popular. The security measures offered at self storage facilities such as Stop & Store Fareham also mean that you never have a sleepless night about whether your goods will be stolen from your unit.
Stop & Store Fareham
- Our storage facility is completely secured and protected by monitored CCTV cameras and intruder alarms, so you can be sure your belongings are safe.
- Our units vary in size from 12 sq ft to 200 sq ft, and to assist you make the right decision as to the size of storage unit you will need there is a handy space calculator on our website. We will be happy to assist you with any queries you may have regarding the correct size storage unit, so please contact us for further information.
- Our units are safe and dry to keep your belongings from being damaged.
- Stop & Store Fareham is centrally situated in the Thackeray Mall, in the heart of the town. We are user friendly making the unloading and loading of your goods easy. Our road access is handy.
Address: Thackeray Mall, Unit C (First Floor) 26a, Fareham PO16 0PQ, United Kingdom
Tel: 01329 556174