It is essential to carefully select a self storage facility for your clothes to ensure proper storage. By following specific procedures, you can enhance your storage experience and keep your clothes in excellent condition.
Taking care of our clothing is important for both our appearance and our comfort. It is a personal task that requires careful attention and consideration. By storing our clothes properly, we can ensure they remain in good condition and last longer, which can boost our confidence and make us feel better about ourselves
Compare this to dirty, worn, and torn clothing that detracts from one’s overall appearance. How we look is how others see us. For sure we’d all like a positive image amongst our peers, so let’s take care of our clothes when we are not using them.
Proper clothing care enhances your well-being and the image that you present to the world.
Choosing a trusted storage facility like Stop & Store Penrith is a wise choice. We provide a range of unit sizes for clients to choose the size unit they need. Our insulated containers are ideal for the safe storage of clothes.
The Benefits of Safe Storage for Clothes
By extending the life of your clothes you are reducing your environmental footprint and by extending the life of your clothing through proper care, you reduce the need to purchase new items.
This can help mitigate the environmental impact of fast fashion and textile waste. This in turn helps you lead a more sustainable lifestyle thereby reducing the resources and energy required for clothing production.
There are many other benefits, some of which have been touched on.
- Safe storage keeps your clothes in good condition. As a professional person, it means that dressing well and looking put together is often expected. Taking care of your work attire, whether it’s a suit, uniform, or business casual attire, can enhance your professional image and opportunities.
- Save money in the long run. Good quality clothing can be an investment, and proper care can extend the life of your garments. When you take care of your clothes, you get more value for your money as they last longer, reducing the need for frequent replacements.
- It allows you to express yourself. Your wardrobe reflects your style and can be an expression of your identity. Well-maintained clothes allow you to create a wardrobe that aligns with your style and presents your best self to the world.
- Make an impact. First impressions are often based on appearance. When your clothes are clean and well-maintained, you make a positive impression on others, whether it’s during job interviews, social events, or everyday interactions.
Preparing for Storage of Clothes
Before sending your clothes to storage at the self storage unit, make sure you follow a few handy preparation tips:
- Storing dirty clothes can attract pests and lead to stains setting in over time. Wash or dry-clean all clothes before storing them. Repair any loose buttons, hems, or seams to prevent further damage during storage.
- Find suitable plastic containers with lids or cardboard boxes to store clothes. Make sure the containers are clean and dry. Avoid using plastic bags for long-term storage as they can trap moisture and lead to mold and mildew growth.
- Neatly fold clothes to avoid creases and wrinkles. Use acid-free tissue paper or plain white paper to separate layers and prevent color transfer.
- As extreme temperatures and humidity can damage clothes over time, ask the storage facility about insulated container storage, and make sure that you use one to guard against the external environment.
- Check that pest control measures are in place. Pest can wreak havoc with your clothes, so ensure these measures are in place.
- Potential moisture or pest issues can be avoided by raising your stored clothes off the ground. Use pallets to do so.
- Place desiccant packs or moisture-absorbing products inside your storage containers to reduce humidity and prevent mold growth. Use mothballs or cedar blocks to deter moths and insects from infesting your clothes. However, be cautious with these products, as they can leave a scent on your clothes.
The Danger of Pests Damaging Clothes in Storage
A word about pests and clothing. These are the pests to look out for:
- Moths can lay eggs on your clothes, and the larvae (caterpillars) can cause damage by feeding on the fibers.
- Carpet beetles are small insects that can infest clothing made of natural fibers, fur, feathers, and leather.
- Silverfish are small, wingless insects that feed on carbohydrates, starches, and proteins. They can damage paper, fabrics, and clothing.
- Mice and rats can chew through clothing and fabrics to make nests, causing extensive damage.
It is recommended to regularly inspect your storage unit for signs of pests and address any issues promptly to prevent damage to your clothes or belongings, as only you have access to the unit.
Why Self Storage is Well Suited for Storage of Clothes
Self storage can be an excellent option for safely storing clothes for several reasons:
- Security is a reputable self storage facility’s main concern using up-to-date security cameras and control mechanisms.
- Insulation against swings in temperature and humidity levels is crucial for preserving the condition of clothes, especially delicate fabrics like silk and wool, which can be damaged by extreme temperatures or moisture.
- Clean and dry conditions, which are essential for preventing mold, mildew, and pests from damaging your clothes.
- Convenient location and long access hours make it easy for you to retrieve or add clothes to your storage unit when needed.
- Various size options allow you to choose the one that best fits your needs. Whether you have a few seasonal items or an extensive wardrobe to store, you can find a unit that suits your requirements.
- Space for Clothes dedicated to allowing for maximum protection.
- Temporary storage in case of a move, home renovation, or seasonal clothing rotation.
Stop & Store Penrith is well situated in Cumbria to provide the storage solution you are looking for. And the good news is that you can get access to a self storage rental at very short notice.
Give us a call on our office number, which is 01768 800291 and for further information our website details are: