You may be one of the many parents that has had to make space in your home for reasons that you didn’t expect. And you are certainly not alone in having to adjust your life to accommodate one of your children.
Except this time, it’s not one child coming back. Your son or daughter now has a family and circumstances have forced them to consolidate their lives and stay with you until further notice.
It’s been suggested that almost a third of children have come back to stay with their parents in the last year in the UK. Many of our family members may have lost their jobs or have been furloughed and are unable to afford their rentals. Family members who are students and are returning home to carry on with their studies online as being away at university or college is no longer possible.
Whatever scenario you are facing, your priorities have changed as you need to organize your entire household and your belongings differently to accommodate your changed circumstances.
This will no doubt entail having to make extra space available in your home by packing away or getting rid of items that are not in frequent use. If you are unsure about disposing of them permanently because they are items, you need for further use in your home under normal circumstances.
Self-storage units remain one of the best ways of maximizing your space at home. Has your home situation changed in that you now have family members returning home to live with you and you find yourself with an extra people to accommodate?
Storage facilities can help you with either short-term or long-term storage and may be the perfect solution to your problems. Here are some important points to consider while you decide on a self-storage rental. Storage Runcorn
It Makes Economic Sense
While it may come as a shock to have your home suddenly invaded by family, it comes down to economics and in every case, it makes sense. Consider the fact that most children would be striving to further their careers after having studied hard, paying back study loans, getting married, having children, and perhaps committing to a mortgage or lease for accommodation.
It’s as hard, if not harder to have to now move back home with their parents. The idea of uprooting, the uncertainty of work and the stress of having to worry about the health of the family are just some of the many concerns affecting them. Then there is the financial stress and worry about the future.
Some feel it’s a huge step backwards, but it is likely to be a temporary move, as they are resilient, and this is a transient issue facing may people. On top of it all their independence is impinged upon, with their freedom being cut away from them. All children will be grateful to their parents but a lot of give and take will be needed.
In any event, you will need to make some space at home. When you need a self-storage facility in Runcorn, Stop & Store is conveniently located near you. We offer a range of indoor self-storage options for you to choose from. These range in size from 12 to 200 sq. Ft for both short term and long-term rental.
Use our convenient Space Calculator on our website www.stopandstore.co.uk. If you can’t visualize 200 sq. ft, this will help you, and if in doubt call us for assistance.
On making the decision to store unnecessary household goods to make way for your incoming visitors, here are some pointers to keep your self-storage organized:
- Place a tarpaulin on the floor of your unit to keep any moisture from penetrating stored boxes, even though good storage units should be moisture proof.
- When you store boxes, put the heavy ones on the bottom and the light ones on top. Use strong boxes as they tend to weaken over time when in storage. Leave a pathway for you to access your boxes in case you need something.
- Pack in an orderly way so that you know where things are. There’s nothing worse than having to scratch around in your household items looking for something. Label your boxes and use bubble wrap to protect things and strong tape to seal boxes. The care you take with your packaging will determine how well your belongings keep while in storage.
- By keeping a record of what is in which box, you will know where things are when you need them. The more detail you put on a label the better. Group them together, such as all the bedroom, kitchen, or lounge things together for ease of retrieval.
- Record keeping is always helpful to keep control of your inventory. By making a record of the content of boxes, what you remove and when, you will always know what’s in your unit and where you have stored it.
- You are at liberty to add shelves to your storage unit to give yourself more space or to be better organized. It is also a good method of keeping your unit clean and getting some storage height in the unit.
Final Thoughts Storage Runcorn
The hardest thing for young people is having to put their lives on the backburner. As soon as things normalize, they would want to move out and re-establish themselves. They love their parents, but they need their space. Making space for them is the least you can do until they can get themselves sorted out.
Please feel free to visit and see our self-storage units for yourself at Stop & Store Runcorn to arrange a solution to your problem of having to create more space in your home for your loved ones. Our self- storage facility is safely protected by state-of-the-art security. You have 24/7 access to our secure storage units including weekends and holidays.
Please contact us on 01928 246400 for more information. We look forward to hearing from you.