Downsizing is often considered as something that is done when you reach retirement age, but that is not necessarily the only time people take this step. Downsizing involves many things, but one of the challenges will always be to find enough space for your belongings that you may have collected over a long time. To help with the decluttering that accompanies downsizing, hiring some storage when downsizing can give you that much-needed space.
Reasons for Downsizing
Downsizing isn’t only for retirees and empty nesters. It is also for anyone who decides that the upkeep and maintenance on a large property and house are just too much.
Sometimes the reason for downsizing is when a relationship breaks down and the shared home has to be sold as both partners need to find a smaller property.
Downsizing can assist you with paying off your debt that is negatively affecting your life. Mortgage repayments and the higher costs of utilities have put many people in dire financial straits during the pandemic as many have lost income and have found themselves in debt so selling off a big property can enable you to get out of debt.
- Moving into a smaller property will reduce your expenses and improve your cash flow.
- You will have lower mortgage repayments, or you may even pay your mortgage off.
- Your utility bills will be lower as smaller homes are more energy-efficient.
- You will reduce the amount of time and money you spend on maintaining a large home and garden.
- Downsizing can enable you to live a simpler life by having less clutter around you. Moving will mean having to clear out your belongings and find a place to store those that you are not ready to get rid of yet. This is where using a self storage facility can assist you.
How to Downsize Your Home – How Storage Can Help
The most difficult part of downsizing is taking the first step of deciding to move to a smaller home. Having a clear idea of why you wish to downsize will make the change in lifestyle into something to look forward to rather than something to dread.
- Give yourself enough time to go through your belongings, declutter where you can, and decide what to do with those items that you are emotionally attached to and are unable to part with.
- Once you have sold your house and know where you are moving to, you can visualize your new floor plan and decide where your items of furniture are going to be placed. If you have a plan on how to tackle this, and you know how you are going to be dealing with your belongings will make the change less stressful for you.
- The most difficult decisions to make will be what to keep and what to part with, because you cannot take everything with you. There are a few tips given by professional home decorators to help you decide on whether to take something with you or not: Can you visualize it in your new home? Does it make you happy? Would you buy it again if you saw it today?
- Make a decision during your planning about how you will go about getting rid of your clutter, so you don’t pack it up unnecessarily. If you cannot use it in your new place you need to decide: Will you sell it? Donate it?
- If it is of sentimental or monetary value you may decide to get some storage for downsizing. This gives you more time to make your final decision. This is also a place where you can keep those items your family may wish to have in their homes one day when they are in a position to take them on. They may still be in student digs or living in a small apartment but want to take the items as soon as they can.
When you are planning and packing up for your downsize you are sure to feel overwhelmed by the changes that you are busy making. This is the time to think about the benefits of moving to a smaller property.
If your reasons for downsizing are financial, think of that extra money you will have from reducing your expenses. You could take that long trip you have been promising yourself. You could pay off your debt. You could pay your children’s university fees. Or maybe top up your retirement nest egg.
The prospect of less maintenance and upkeep that a smaller property requires will give you time to pursue those hobbies that you may have been putting off. Learn a new skill or take up a hobby like painting, hiking, cycling, or birdwatching.
How Can Stop & Store Fareham Help with Your Downsizing?
At Stop & Store Fareham we can assist you with any of your storage needs you may require while downsizing. We have units in a variety of sizes on offer. It is worth checking out our website for any price specials that are currently available on our units.
- Our state-of-the-art operating system makes it very easy to secure a unit. Book and pay online, and once we receive your payment, we email you your individual PIN code which allows you immediate access to your unit.
- You need never be concerned about the safety of your goods. The security systems we have in place at our facility are amongst the best in the business, so you can rest assured that your goods will be safe from theft as our facility is protected by monitored CCTV cameras 7 days a week, intruder alarms, and limited access.
- Our units are steel partitioned, lockable rooms and are dry and safe. These are ideal conditions to keep your belongings from being damaged by moisture or pests.
- Our units vary in size from 12sq ft to 200sq ft, so whether you need to store something small like a few valuables or something larger such as a household of furniture, we have the right sized unit for you.
- If you are not sure what size unit to book, check out the space calculator on our website. If you need any assistance with your choice, we will be happy to help you.
- Please check our website for those important customer reviews.
Address: Thackeray Mall, Unit C (First Floor) 26a, Fareham PO16 0PQ, United Kingdom
Tel: 01329 556174