As we approach the end of another year that has been a difficult one for many of us, there is always a sense of optimism when starting a new year. We make our usual new year resolutions and hope that it will prove better than the last year. It is a time to make plans and to resolve to make positive changes at home and at work.
One such resolution may be to use this end of year period to clean out living spaces, our cupboards and even the attic and garage. This is the perfect time to plan the decluttering of your home and to start the new year with an organised house. To help you with sorting out your clutter, Stop & Store Fareham are here for you as a solution in terms of where to store your belongings.
This is also the time of year when Christmas is over, and you need to take down your Christmas decorations and store them. These décor items are often of sentimental value, so you want to make sure that these items are packed properly. So if you are wondering where you going to store these items, consider putting them into your self storage unit where they will be safe and ready for you come next December. Although you may be tempted to stuff it into bags and boxes and shove them up in the attic, these are better ways to ensure that they will be kept safely and be in good condition for next time.
Tips on How to Store Your Christmas Decorations
- Most people will agree that the most challenging items to pack are those string lights. They seem to tangle up in a minute, let alone being fragile and easily broken. The easiest way to ensure that they do not get damaged or tangled while they are in storage is to detangle them first, and then wrap them around a piece of cardboard. This advice is also valid for streamers and strands of beads. Wrap them carefully and store them in a plastic box. Use additional cushioning of bubble wrap to prevent any breakages. Those bulbs are very delicate and break easily.
- Keep your bigger and heavier Christmas ornaments and décor items in a separate box to prevent potential damage to the smaller, more delicate items.
- Use egg boxes to store smaller, fragile items and remember to label each box so that you know where stuff is stored.
- Carefully place your artificial tree in a plastic bag, or if you still have the box it came in, use this for storing it.
Clean out and declutter other areas of your house in preparation for the new year. If you find you have nowhere to keep these belongings in your home, add them to your Christmas items in your self storage unit.
- Begin by sorting through your cupboards to clear out clothing, linen, and bedding that you no longer use. These can be packed up and donated to your local thrift or charity shop, or if they are in good condition, sold online. There may be clothing items that you still need, but are seasonal, so these can be easily stored in your self storage unit. This will make way for your new purchases or gifts that you received over Christmas.
- Toys may be cluttering up your space and Christmas is the time when your child received more and more stuff. This is a good time to pack up toys that your child may have outgrown. There is always some child out there who would get much pleasure from these toys so donate these to a charity. Any toys you wish to keep can be packed up and stored in your unit.
- While you are busy decluttering, sort through your mail and deal with anything that is important. Your magazines and newspapers can all be put out for recycling and donate your old books to a charity. This will make space in your bookshelf for any new books you received as gifts.
- Clean out your kitchen and pantry shelves of items that you never seem to use, and also those items that have passed their sell-by date.
Just by clearing out your old belongings that are cluttering up your home and packing away your Christmas decorations will have an immediate effect of making your home feel organised, neat and tidy. The best part is that it doesn’t have to be a major effort on your behalf to achieve this result. Just a day or two and you can start the new year by achieving one of your resolutions of keeping your house in order.
Stop & Store Fareham Offers Storage Solutions for Your End of the Year Decluttering Efforts
- Our units vary in size from 12 sq ft to 200 sq ft so even if you want a separate unit to store your Christmas decorations, we will have the correct size storage unit for you. By using our handy space calculator you can select the correct size unit for your needs. Otherwise please discuss your needs with us and we will gladly advise you on what will be best for your storage needs.
- Our easy state-of-the-art booking system enables you to book and pay for your unit online from your laptop or phone. Once we have received your payment we send you an individual PIN code and you can start moving your goods in right away.
- We have long opening hours from 8am-6pm so you can access your unit anytime within these hours.
- Our security system is top of the range to give you the peace of mind that your goods are safe from theft. We have 24 hour monitored CCTV, as well as intruder alarms and strictly monitored access.
- No deposit is payable, and your monthly cost is fixed – there are no hidden surprises.
- We offer short term and long term rentals. It is worth keeping an eye open for our special offers that we advertise on our website.
- Our facility is conveniently situated in the Fareham Shopping Centre, in the heart of the town, offering you easy access to load and unload your goods.
Tel: 01329 556174.